We've covered landing pages before, but this, by Cameron Chapman, is a very thorough guide with examples, a must-read.
The points covered include:
- A clear call to action is vital
- Clear and concise copy
- Only ask for vital fields for sign-up
- Remove navigation elements
- Single landing pages versus mini-sites
- Paying attention to the fold
- Below-the-fold calls to action
- Image and font sizes
- Centered, single-column layout
- Matching the look and feel of an email campaign
And, of course, the article mentions that landing pages should be A/B tested. Enjoy the full article.