We've covered networking before. Here are some further tips, from Charlie O'Donnell, about how to take it to the next level - that is, go from simply networking to actively building a really strong and useful network.
Here are his tips summarised, but be sure to read the whole article for more detail:
- Be discerning; only build strong relations with good people.
- Get to know fewer people, better; you will get more out of fewer, stronger connections.
- Host an event; it's a great way to connect with many people at once.
- Share your hobbies; in other words, don't be afraid to have multiple non-work facets to your life.
- Rather than trying to connect with today's top 10, try to find those who will be the top 10 tomorrow.
- Don't be afraid to just reach out to people you want to meet.
- Be willing to move on if the other person doesn't seem to be that much into you; don't force awkward connections.