As a founder, you will find yourself emailing busy people on a regular basis - investors, potential clients, actual clients, actual clients who haven't paid their invoices... and so on. Hopefully not too many of the latter.
- Keep the subject line concrete and very descriptive.
- Use your company email address.
- Remind the receiver of the context.
- Limit your mail to five sentences - or, ideally, three.
- Make it clear and explicit what you're asking for.
- Respond immediately if he answers.
- Include a short, professional signature with the relevant details.