Anthony Feint, the Australian founder of Task.fm shares five key lessons he's learned from his experience building apps:
- Stop adding features: each feature has a cost in complexity and customer support cost.
- Don't promise what you can't deliver: your priorities are ever shifting and unpredictable; promising things to customers who ask for them leads to disappointed customers, and even when you do deliver them they're never as important as they seemed while they were "hot".
- Communicate: if your app goes down, don't keep quiet about it, it's probably the worst thing you can do; let them know what's happening.
- Charge more: if your product is better than the competition, charge for that.
- Ignore the critics: don't waste time responding to overly harsh critics; they'll move on to something else.