Design is an essential part of most successful startups. Having some, even relatively basic, design skills is useful in many areas of business.
Dixit Smashing Magazine:
Over the last six months or so we've been trying very hard to improve the overall quality of the articles published on Smashing Magazine. One of the improvements we introduced is the so-called 'Smashing Magazine Experts Panel' where our articles are reviewed by experts (who are invited and paid for their reviews) before these articles get published online. There are also other things we do to ensure the good quality of the articles. We want to be a professional, reliable online publication for designers and web-developers.
It shows in this article. Excellent overview of key principles for picking fonts. Here's a summary, but do read the article.
- Use appropriate fonts. Don't go for individuality above all else.
- Know the font families: Geometric, Humanist, Old style, Transitional, Modern, Slab Serif.
- Use decisive contrast, fonts that look significantly different. Either keep it exactly the same, or change it a lot.
- Don't over-use particularly stylised fonts.
- Break any of these rules sooner than design something truly barbarous