Great article busting some preconceptions about mobile development. In short:
- Don't hire mobile experts; your own team will be experts within 6 months;
- don't treat your mobile codebase differently from your normal codebase; follow the same engineering practices;
- don't worry about carrier and handset deals; focus on standard consumer distribution first;
- don't build multi-platform right away; start with iPhone or Android; and
- don't sit on your laurels after launching; the mobile landscape is constantly changing.
The full article has more details.